Pages

New York is the City of Emshwiller in April!

NYC is the Empire of Emshwiller!

The city of New York will be celebrating Carol Emshwiller's 90th birthday with two gigantic, out-of-this-world celebrations:

Tuesday, April 12, The New York Review of Science Fiction Readings will be devoted to a fête (festival! celebration! paaaaarrrrrty!) of all things Emshwillericious. This is the actual birthday, so much singing is to be expected. Details:
NYRSF Readings
The SoHo Gallery for Digital Art
138 Sullivan Street
------------------------------
Doors open at 6:30 PM
Program begins at 7:00
Admission Free
$7 donation suggested

Monday, April 18, the Wold Newton Reading Series will offer an interview of Carol Emshwiller by Matthew Cheney, the person currently typing this. He would tell you more details if his mind were not still struggling to assimilate the information (he keeps pinching himself, saying, "I'm going to get to talk to Carol Emshwiller!") The organizers of the event have called Matt a "science fiction scholar", which is probably just meant to remind him to do something other than just sit up there and say, "By the way, I love your work. Have I already told you that? I love your work. I mean, I really love your work. I know I've probably said it before, but I love your work..."

There will also be magic by a person who uses the utterly practical sobriquet Magic Brian.

Details:
April 18, 2011, 7.30pm
WORD Bookstore in Greenpoint, Brooklyn
126 Franklin Street, Brooklyn, NY 11222

These two events offer readers the chance to thank Carol Emshwiller for continuing to provide the sorts of stories that sustain us, challenge us, and enlighten us. Come join in the celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment